Alaska Air Forwarding: Supporting the Entertainment Industry in Alaska
Alaska is a geographically large state. In fact, Alaska’s land mass is the largest, by far, of all 50 states with a variety of terrains that are as different as they are beautiful. If you’ve ever had the opportunity to visit Alaska, you know what we mean. Alaska boasts beautiful coastal towns with miles of shorelines, wide open spaces, dense forest land, glaciers and beaches. This varied terrain has caught the eye of many producers and directors in the film industry, giving Alaska the reputation of being a great place for film. This has paved the way for much economic growth for Alaska as well as for a number of other industries, including Alaska Air Forwarding. We are in the position to provide very needed support of Alaska’s film and entertainment industry. We are able to work on short notice and arrange shipping for last-minute projects that need to be turned around quickly. Additionally, we have many in-state connections that allow us to reach the more remote parts of Alaska that other freight companies cannot service.
Alaska Film Industry
As movie and television production companies have discovered Alaska, the State of Alaska has seized the opportunity and formed the Alaska Film Production Incentive Program. This program was established with two goals in mind:
- To offer incentives to the film industry in the way of tax credits. Based on the information in an earlier AFPIP report, the tax incentive program has been very successful.
“Through the end of June 2013, 67 projects have completed production and been issued more than $38 million in tax credits based on more than $117 million in eligible expenses. About half were non-fiction TV shows like Deadliest Catch, Alaska State Troopers, and Flying Wild Alaska, but other production categories are also well represented: Alaska supported both local and international documentaries, a variety of commercials, some large features (The Proposal, Big Miracle and The Frozen Ground) as well as several smaller features that shot in locations across Alaska (e.g. On the Ice, Love of Life, and Wildlike).”
- To promote the of the State of Alaska. The second goal for the AFPIP is to promote the State of Alaska. The film and entertainment industry has not only opened a new revenue stream but new opportunities to promote Alaska as well. The AFPIP has a responsibility to promote Alaska and its resources to the film and entertainment industry by way of connecting them to the necessary resources that will be needed during the production period, such as extras, lodging, food, telecommunications, transportation and shipping to name a few. In fact, the AFPIP developed a data base of state-wide resources, covering a wide range of industries that would be available to support the film industry. As production companies prepare to film in Alaska, they can access this database to connect with the resources needed for production.
In addition to AAF’s support of the Film and Entertainment industry, we also support a number of other aspects of entertainment within the state. While Alaska is known for its scenic beauty, tourism and yes, cold winters, it can be easy to overlook the fact that there are three thriving metropolitan cities in Alaska: Juneau, Fairbanks and Anchorage. These three cities are host to concerts, conventions and trade shows that require equipment to be shipped in and delivered to the various venues.
Alaska Air Forwarding has established a reputation as being THE shipping company to call when there is an urgent, last-minute need to move equipment quickly between sites or when large, oddly sized equipment is needing to be shipped. Because we are ready and able to ship freight of any size, anywhere in Alaska, we are the perfect choice when it comes to supporting concerts, conventions and trade shows in Alaska’s metropolitan areas.
We ship all types of film and entertainment industry supplies including:
- Lighting Kits
- Boom Poles
- Cameras of all sizes
- Tripods needed for mounting cameras
- Weather gear to protect the equipment
Any equipment that is needed for the shoot that would not be permitted on a commercial airline, can be shipped through Alaska Air Forwarding. Here’s what you need to do to get started:
- Get A Quote: Click on this link to get the process started.
- Download our Customer Checklist: This checklist will basically make you an official customer in the AAF database. This list provides all of the necessary contact information that we will need for this shipment and any other shipment going forward.
- Download our Credit app
- Download our Shipment Checklist: This list is very detailed and is where you will provide all of the information regarding the items that we will be shipping for you including number of pieces, weight and a description of each product.
Once you’ve completed these steps, just leave the rest to us. We will ensure that your items arrive safely and on time for the film shoot. Even if your shoot requires filming in remote locations, our many connections within the state of Alaska will enable us to ship your equipment where ever it is needed in a timely and efficient manner. We are proud of our long-standing record of trust and efficiency and we are happy to bring that support to Alaska’s Film and Entertainment Industry.